Twitter & Instagram: @tiben12
Facebook: Re-Elect Tim Bennett – SD57 Trustee
Phone Number: 250-649-8316
It is has been an absolute honour to serve the communities of School District
57 over the past seven years. For those who don’t know me, or know me well
here is a brief bio:
- Husband to my amazing wife Carli and father to Ryan and Ian
- Belong to the Tsq’escenemc First Nations (Canim Lake Band), from the Shuswap Nation through my mother.
- Have worked with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Prince George since 2006 and have spent almost six years as Executive Director.
- Have been a School District 57 Trustee for seven years. During that time I was Board Vice-Chairperson for four years and have been Board Chairperson since 2016.
- Currently a first term Director on the BC School Trustee Board of Director
- Currently serving on the BCSTA Indigenous Education Committee, BC K-12 Aboriginal Partners Round Table, BCSTA Student Initiatives Working Group and BCSTA Election Advisory Committee
I believe public education plays a critical role in helping our youth open their
eyes not only to what is but to what can be. Our staff members are not only
teachers but are caregivers, mentors and allies.
There are a lot of challenges and opportunities ahead both for our District but
also Public Education in British Columbia. Locally, one of the biggest issues is
catchment and capacity of our schools. Due to increasing enrolment our board
has taken some steps to address capacity and catchment in Prince George.
However, our student enrollment is still growing and there are schools, and
families of schools that are nearing, at or over capacity. This is going to need
to be a priority of the next board.
The government has collected feedback on the current funding formula and
will be introducing changes to the current funding formula this fall. We are
lead to believe that the total funding will not be increased, but rather
redistributed. This will create winners and losers and we need leadership to
advocate to government to ensure our students are not disadvantaged
because of changes made as a result of the review.
Not only is there the funding formula review, but we are still in the process of
supporting our staff with the implementation of the new curriculum, we are
entering into bargaining with both our teachers and support staff, and helping
improve student achievement results for all students.
I have the skills, experience and leadership to support our district through all
these challenges and any other that will be thrown our way during the next
My campaign this year is built on the following pillars:
- Proven leadership
- Accessible, available and accountable
- A voice for venturing students
- Continue to improve relationships and resources.
I encourage you to visit my website at http://www.timbennett.ca; connect on
Facebook (facebook.com/trusteetim); Twitter and Instagram (@tiben12) or by
phoning me at 250.649.8316. Would love to chat more about me, my record,
my values and my priorities for the next four years. Thank you for the
opportunity to serve and I hope I have the opportunity to continue the work I